Bridges I and II over the Criz River
Aguieira Dam, Santa Comba Dão, Portugal
The contract for the “Renovation and Structural Reinforcement of Bridges over the River Criz I (Km 57.000) and the River Criz II (Km 59.300) – EN 234” covered reinforced-concrete bridges with a length of 180 m and 300 m respectively, designed by Prof. Edgar Cardoso and constructed between 1976 and 1979.
The following work was carried out to reinforce the connections and deck on each of the bridges:
• Reinforcement of the connections, in two stages, by placing a slab over the walls and wall pillars of the existing wingwalls, and over a pile alignment constructed along the line of the road.
• Application of external pre-stressing to the longitudinal deck beams, after building anchoring masses and placing metal dividers;
• Reinforcement of the column heads of the bridge over River Criz I, by pre-stressing and thickening the transverse section, to transfer the load of the support devices to the pillars;
• Raising of the 100mm deck, in phases, and in 3 sequential stages for each support, and replacement of the support devices;
• Repair and improvements of decks, connections and pillars;
• Replacement of expansion joints in the deck-connection links
• Final painting